Writing a Plot Summary

Some, but not all, agents will ask for a plot summary, or synopsis, which is the same thing. Based on my research, agents requiring a plot summary usually do so because they want to see how your story develops beyond the few sample pages in your submission, and whether it’s the type of book that suits their fancy. Most importantly, in my opinion, a strong plot summary is indicative of a writer’s style and skill at condensing and writing persuasively.

That said, I hate doing plot summaries! I find them as difficult to write as the novel itself and even more challenging than writing query letters. With COME THE HARPIES, I had 670 words to describe a 97,000-word novel! That’s right, you get two double-spaced pages to describe your story, including spoilers and the ending of the book. Your plot summary has to introduce your most important character, describe what he/she wants, the personal and external barriers to achieving his/her desires, how he/she is changed by the experience, and how everything in the book ties together in the end. 

In 670 words…or less!

Notice the emphasis on character in the summary. It seems that, while agents are interested in unique and clever plots, what they really crave are fascinating and realistic characters, which is why the personalities in my book are the central focus of my summary. However, it is up to you to figure out the main thrust of your narrative and which subplots and side-stories to leave out to stay within the word count. So hard!

I toiled for weeks on mine and when it was reviewed by an agent at a workshop that I attended, it came back with a bunch of comments that would require further expansion of the summary. I’m still trying to figure out how to implement those changes within the word count restriction.  But this is the type of challenges that we writers frequently have to overcome. 

To help guide you in writing a plot summary, again go back to the back-cover copy of books in your genre to see how the pros capsulize their plots. But unlike your query letter pitch, whose only role is to entice agents to sample your book and leave them hanging, your plot summary should lay out your primary story, including how it ends. But your writing personality and style should shine through in your summary, because it’s another opportunity to demonstrate your brilliance and professionalism.

As with my query, I’m not going to pass along my plot summary in this blog until it has helped garnered the interest of an agent. Until then, here are some very fine plot summaries from Wiki Summaries of several Harry Potter books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some Blogs Never Die--They Just Go On Hiatus

When last we met, I had just resurrected this blog to announce that one of my unpublished novels won an award. The book still hasn't bee...