Waiting is the Hardest Part

Here's the scorecard so far with my query activity for COME THE HARPIES. I've sent out 34 queries, received 9 rejections, and one expression of interest from an agent to see more pages based on her review of my first chapter. Thus, I await word from 24 agents on queries sent out between July 24 and October 5.

That of course does not mean that I will hear from all 24. Several agents indicated that they're inundated by so many queries that they only respond if they're interested in the submission, which probably means that my rejection number is higher than the nine I've received so far. While each rejection stings a bit, I maintain a decent level of confidence in the quality of my work and that my hope of finding a publisher is not misplaced.

My current protocol calls for sending out 10 queries a month to a carefully curated list of agents. I haven't explored sending direct to small publishers yet, but maybe that day will come. So what about the "meantime?"

I think my query letter is in pretty good shape and my manuscript is as strong as I can make it at this point. I did go back and edit my plot summary in response to suggestions made by an agent at the Boot Camp described in a previous blog post. So I think my submission package is totally up to snuff for now. But as any writer or creative writing instructor will tell you, your writing muscle should be exercised every day to keep in shape.

I'm not currently working on any particular writing projects, but since my novel ends on a cliff-hanger, it probably wouldn't hurt to start thinking about the sequel. I've already started collecting some research material, but don't have the vaguest idea for the story. Now's as good a time as any to focus some effort on that. It would also be a good time to work on some new musical recording ideas--don't want that part of my brain to fall asleep as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He's Alive (?)

So it's been almost two years since my last post, which was gonna be my last post. But here I am again. A wooden nickel in human form. I...